.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Name:
Location: Allentown, PA

I'm a Christian wife and a mom to three daughters and two sons. I'm a member of the board of directors of EmPoWeReD Birth. In my "spare time" I'm a doula, and a certified childbirth instructor.

Friday, July 28, 2006

Baby Talk is buzzing...

Apparently Baby Talk magazine has received 700 letters to the editor already about the cover of the August edition of their magazine. I think those baby eyes gazing up at his mother are just adorable, but apparently some people are more concerned about the exposed breast.

Never mind that many of the people who are so concered are likely the same ones who stay up to watch the Victoria's Secret special on TV.

CBS Channel 3 News out of Philadelphia covered the story tonight. Of course they had to talk to some newly minted moms (still in the hospital) to get their take on things--one supportive of the cover, the other not so supportive. The "not so supportive" mom claimed that she had tried to breastfeed, but it was just too hard. That is really sad that she didn't have the support she needed to even make it a couple of days!

She then went on to pontificate on how she feels that breastfeeding shouldn't really be pushed on moms so much because society really doesn't accept nursing in public:
“There’s alot of pressure to breast feed,” said Agnes. “In today’s society, you can’t do it anyway. People look at you like you’re disgusting,” she continued.
I've breastfed 4 kids in public, and never once got asked to move. I would guess that half of the time no one even noted what I was doing. At least 5% of the time I actually got positive comments or encouraging looks. I know there are some moms that do get asked to move...but come on...here is a mom with her first baby not even out of the hospital yet, and she thinks she knows that society at large is going to make her feel uncomfortable if she were to breastfeed in public?

This is a problem, and one I think that in a way, "lactivists" have created. The envelope really has been pushed and pushed to the point where society is pushing back. I think that moms who have nursed in public and not had it be an issue really need to speak up more to let the next generation know that it really isn't that big of a deal. Making a huge issue out of every situation where a store clerk who likely doesn't even have children asks a nursing mom to move really isn't helping paint a portrait of nursing as a natural part of public life.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

My only "uncomfortable" situation was with my FIL too! LOL! Once or twice my MIL brought a receiving blanket over to me when I was nursing Jessica, but Jessica didn't like to be covered, and I was being modest.

They apparently spoke to my husband privately and told him of my FIL's discomfort...but he did get over it. When I was nursing & pregnant with a later child (I think pregnant with Jason, nursing Katie), FIL and DH actually had a conversation about tandem nursing, and how that would NOT starve the baby--LOL.

Anyway, I knew my FIL had gotten comfortable with things when he brought Jason to me, said "I think he's hungry," then went and sat back down across the room without blinking an eye.

8:04 AM, August 03, 2006  
Blogger Kevin said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I have spent my down time today reading yours and have truly enjoyed your thoughts. I am breastfeeding my first child and really haven't done it in public yet since I haven't really gotten out much since he was born. I am sure I will run into some fun situations when I start. Thanks again. I plan on reading your blog as much as I can.

7:01 PM, August 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home